Utility Assistance


Utility Online Application

CAP Riverside is pleased to make the on-line applicationlink available to customers interested in applying for utility assistance or weatherization. 

In order to be able to apply on-line you need the following:

  • Ability to scan required documents as a pdf (scanner required)
  • A valid e-mail addresses (necessary).   Automatic replies will be sent to your e-mail and you can inquire on-line on status of your application
  • The following list of documents need to be scanned:
  • Proof of citizenship:  Can be one of the following documents:
    - US birth certificate
    - US passport
    - Citizenship certificate
    - Permanent resident card (green card)
    - Baptismal record
  • Proof of income for the last 4-weeks for all members of the household
  • Most recent electric bill (complete)
  • Most recent gas bill (complete)
  • Disconnection notice (if applies)

Please be aware that the following documents need to be downloaded, properly filled out, scanned and included with your application and other documentation.

Make sure that all documents are scanned prior to selecting the on line application link:

 This is the link: www.CaLiheapApply.com



Field level help.